I will warn you right out of the gates...this post is a beast! So. Many. Photos. But 2017 was a big year and these images still barely skim the surface. In a nutshell...
- We visited 22 national parks and monuments (and a bunch more state parks, national forests, and wild and scenic rivers!)
- We road-tripped a total of just over 12,000 miles (these are road-trip miles, not the miles put on in daily life or excursions made from where we were located at the time...our truck actually put on more than double that!)
- We lived in 4 locations: Alna, Maine / New Braunfels, Texas / Reno, Nevada / Hollis, New Hampshire
- We took just shy of 13 weeks of designated vacation time total, generally in three-week increments
- We visited six whiskey/bourbon distilleries (and more micro-breweries than I could even begin to quantify...)
- We spent more than 50 nights sleeping outdoors either in a tent or the back of the truck (the camper doesn't count and I stopped counting calendar dates when I hit 50...)
- I guided close to forty whitewater trips down the Truckee River (with just the one "dump-truck" that ended my rafting season!)
- I shot more than 25,000 images for myself and for clients
There are a million things I can't count...number of campfires sat around, wildlife seen in action, hours spent in the hammock, friends visited and made, belly laughs, wrong turns, gps failures, mountain lakes swam in, moments of awe, moments of growth, moments of clarity.
This year was harder and better and fuller than I've had in longer than I can guess and I am deeply proud of what we've done with our time. As we begin winding up our time here in New Hampshire and prepare to head west in just a few short weeks to pick up the camper and begin the next year of adventure, it's been a gift to go back through these images and my journals from the year and to step back and process just a bit. I suspect that I will continue to process these experiences for years to come, but for this one moment, I'm simply going to revel in the reflection of this year in review.
Maine > Texas (mid-January through April)
Pulling away from the Alna house...
In front of our wedding venue in Williamsburg, VA...
Let the Kentucky distillery tours begin...
Not every night is a scenic campsite...there were plenty of Wal-mart parking lot nights this year!
New Braunfels, Texas...
One of the perks of being in Texas was getting some time with my family, especially some outside time with my little brother!
Texas > Nevada (May through September)
Driving out of Death Valley's 100-degree temps and into the high Sierra's freezing ones in the same day was mind-boggling...a 70-degree difference in a matter of hours!
My love for Reno began with the bulging snowmelt currents of the Truckee...
California > Oregon > Washington (12 days in September)
Nevada > New Hampshire (October through January 2018)
Once back in New England, it's been a whirlwind of client work that has taken me all over this region as well as to New Orleans combined with reuniting with friends and family we haven't seen in a year. Snow and walks in the town forest and laughter over dinners with friends. I haven't had my camera out for much of the personal stuff, but I can feel that itch beginning and you can bet you'll see a bit more before we leave this place in a few short weeks...
A safe and happy New Year to all of you. My gratitude for your presence here is unceasing. Onto 2018 we fly, my friends!